A Diagnostic Medical Program that is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs has been assessed for program and staff quality. In 2018, there are more than 200 schools offering accredited sonography programs, but only three of the schools offer an online certificate or degree program in ultrasound technology. The three online sonography schools are Washburn University, Jackson College and State Fair Community College. Following is a brief review of the online sonography programs.
Washburn University is a public university with about 7,n00 students and more than 200 academic programs. The university is located in Topeka, KS. and offers three Certificates in Diagnostic Medical Sonography. They are:
The CAAHEP accredited Certificate programs are offered through the Allied Health department of the School of Applied Studies.
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography program offers all didactic course work online and has been doing so for more than 11 years. The program staff will work with the student to find a clinical training site as close to the student’s home as possible.
Since the university offers only certificate programs in sonography, the program admission requirements include an Associate’s degree or higher in a healthcare program that required hands-on patient care clinical rotations. The degrees include radiologic technology, registered nurse or LPN, respiratory therapy, and others. The student must have also completed a set of required courses with a grade of C or better. Employers can request admissions criteria be waived for an employee if willing to host the employee as a student at a facility that meets Washburn University’s accreditation standards.
Following is additional information for consideration:
- Applications are accepted annually between November 1 to February 1
- There is a second application period February 2 to March 31, but applications submitted before February 1 are given priority
- Student must be apply to and be accepted into Washington University to be eligible for admission into the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program
- Upon admission, student can submit the names of five facilities to the Clinical Coordinator for consideration as clinical training sites
- Washburn University is consistently ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the best colleges in the Midwest
- Residents of Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, Texas and Oklahoma pay in-state tuition rates
Washburn University also has a large financial aid and scholarship program for students.
Jackson College’s scenic campus is located six miles south of Jackson, MI. It has more than 8,000 students enrolled at any time, and 15 percent are taking classes online.
Jackson College offers three degrees and one certificate sonography program. The didactic courses in all the program tracks are taken online, but clinical training must be completed at an approved medical facility. Students can request approval for a clinical site by submitting the “Characteristics of Clinical Education Center” form and the “Summary Curriculum Vitae Form” to the Allied Health Office.
The degrees and certificates include the following:
Applications for the General Sonography program are accepted through January 31; through August 31 for the Cardiac Sonography; and through May 31 for Vascular Sonography. Students must obtain admission to Jackson College, as well as admission to the sonography program. All sonography programs are in the Allied Health department.
Following is some additional information concerning Jackson College and/or the sonography program:
- The General Sonography program is four semesters long, beginning in May and ending in August
- The Vascular Sonography program is three semesters long, beginning in August of one year and ending in the following August
- The Cardiac Sonography program is three semesters long, beginning in January and ending in December
- The Human Biology and Human Anatomy & Physiology prerequisite courses may require students to complete lab hours on the Jackson College campus if unable to complete the biology lab work at a local educational facility
- All General Education and Allied Health Core prerequisite courses have to be completed before acceptance into the sonography program
State Fair Community College
Located in Sedalia, MO, the State Fair Community College has 4,800 students. The community college has Diagnostic Medical Sonography Associate Degree programs offering three learning concentrations:
- Associate of Applied Science Degree – Cardiac
- Associate of Applied Science Degree – General
- Associate of Applied Science Degree – Vascular
All didactic courses are presented online. However, students need to complete lab hours on the campus. The community college places most students at multiple clinical sites over the 22 month program.
List of the Best Online Sonography Programs in 2018
|State||City||School Name||Sonography Programs|
|Kansas||Topeka||Washburn University||Certificate in Cardiac, Vascular and General Sonography|
|Michigan||Jackson||Jackson College||Certificate in Vascular Sonography,
Associate Degree in Vascular, Cardiac and General Sonography
|Missouri||Sedalia||State Fair Community College||Associate Degree in Vascular, Cardiac and General Sonography|