Developing a plan for researching accredited sonography schools in 2016 will make the process much more productive. There are two approaches that can be blended together. First, make best use of our website. It has been carefully designed to present all the information potential Diagnostic Medical Sonography students need to understand how to choose a sonography program and the career. Once the favored training program is chosen, the second step is taking advantage to the programs online information.
Step 1: Ultrasound Technician Center
There are many general articles online that discuss sonography schools, careers, opportunities, salaries and so on. However, it takes a lot of time to go from website to website to find particular information about each decision element. One site might discuss salary, and one site may review careers. Few websites offer everything a newbie wants to know about ultrasound technician education and careers.
One of the overriding purposes of a website like UltrasoundTechnicianCenter.org is to centralize information. There are steps to making the most of the website.
- Read about the latest articles about sonography careers because there are different ultrasound specialists and ultrasound career paths that can be taken
- Read some of the articles because they give insightful information; make use of the search function to get answers to specific questions
- Review the medical sonographer salary by state and by city, developed to make it as easy as possible to assess the status of the industry
- Take the quiz to see if sonography is a good career path for you!
- Do a search for CAAHEP accredited schools in the preferred state and radiate out from there
- Determine if the preferred schools offer the desired degree, certificate or diploma in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Read about sources of financial aid and scholarships (check which financial opportunities are available in a local sonography school in your state)
Follow these simple steps to gain the confidence that Diagnostic Medical Sonography is a good career choice. At that point it is time to research the preferred sonography schools using online resources.
Step 2: Research the Sonography Schools Online
Selecting the ultrasound schools of interest is just a first step. The next step is learning more about each of the sonography schools and the campus. Learning about each college and sonography program is easy today because of the internet. All the schools have websites, but some are more sophisticated than others. To learn about a university, college or technology school, do as many of the following steps as possible given the online information.
- Check for interactive maps, 360-degree views and virtual tours; take advantage of whatever is available
- Look for a “student life” or “student activities” tab and read about facilities, clubs, events, student government and activities
- Read the school’s social media sites like Facebook and Twitter
- Check for online courses in the catalog and review the program requirements for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (You can get an overview of sonography program requirements and courses of each sonography school by state.)
- Go to the appropriate webpage describing the sonography program; the level of detail varies from program to program so read everything available concerning the curriculum, prerequisites, class schedule, physical requirements, clinical training, faculty and so on
- Visit the financial aid webpage, determine the specific types of aid the school offers, including scholarships, and review the types of assistance the financial aid office offers students in the way of staff and online applications
- Review the on or off-campus housing, and dining facilities, depending on personal circumstances
- Read the student newspaper if it is online because that will provide a sense of the culture of the student body and a glimpse into student events and activities
Step 3: Start Applying Now!
After doing this level of research, the student will have an excellent idea of where she or he would like to go for Diagnostic Medical Sonography training. The final step is visiting the top two or three preferred sonography schools. After that, there is no time like the present to start applying because most sonography programs have limited enrollment. Ultrasound technology is an excellent choice for those who want an interesting healthcare career with expanding options. All the information for making an informed decision is online. It is simply a matter of knowing how to approach it in a methodical manner.